Just gonna pen a quick note. Smplayer, the pretty great Qt-based frontend for mplayer that I use, started behaving strangely after I performed a recent software update. Symptoms are – video plays, but does not respond to common keyboard commands like ‘f’ to full-screen and arrow keys to skip. Also, the GUI becomes unresponsive – you can’t click anything. I didn’t spend too much time looking up the source of the problem, but it may be related to this.
I’ve discovered you can workaround this annoying problem by installing mplayer2 and then configuring smplayer to use that instead of mplayer. Simply install mplayer2 via yast or via
sudo zypper install mplayer2
Then start smplayer (without arguments! If you load it with a video the UI will freeze!) and go to Options > Preferences > General > General and key in “mplayer2” for the field “Mplayer executable:
While there are some differences between mplayer2 and mplayer, everything appears to work fine using it with smplayer so far, so I’m pretty happy.